5 Healthy Alternatives to Halloween Treats
Childhood obesity is an endless concern in the United States. Approximately 12.7 million children and adolescents are considered obese. It is important to keep our children safe while having fun during the holidays. This Halloween, try substituting candy with healthier options. This change can be good for everyone in the family, and can create new Halloween traditions.
Here are some healthier alternatives to your party treats, that can still make Halloween fun!
1. Instead of putting out a bowl of candy for your guests, cut some veggies and arrange them in the shape of a pumpkin.
2. Draw a Jack O’Lantern face onto the flat side of a mandarin fruit cup to make it look like a pumpkin!
3. Assemble Spooky Monster Sandwiches, complete with olive eyes and pickle fangs.
4. If you want to be really creative, you can make Jack O’Lantern Sweet Potato Fries.
5. If you’re looking for a unique, sweet snack Pumpkin Pie Dip is perfect for you:
Pumpkin Pie Dip
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 6 oz fat free Greek yogurt
- 8 oz cool whip free (fat free)
- Apples to dip
Mix the pumpkin with brown sugar, vanilla and spices, blend well. Mix in yogurt. Fold in cool whip and chill in refrigerator until ready to eat. Cut up apples to dip!
Encourage the kids to help you out with these fun recipes! The earlier they learn about the importance of healthy food, the more likely they will make healthy choices. Have a happy and healthy Halloween!