I had been overweight my entire life, tried all the fad diets to no avail. My father was always worried about my weight and wanted me to lose. I grew up in San Diego and in 1992 I moved to Las Vegas, NV. I worked odd shifts, got very little sleep, and ate on the go. I left Las Vegas in 2006 for Hanford, CA. By this time I had gotten so disgusted with myself, that I quit eating and would only eat dinner. I continued to gain due to this eating habit. My heaviest topped out at 341 lbs. Size 32 pants, and 26-28 shirts. I lost my dad on 1-7-2009 and that was my turning point. At that moment I realized how much I really needed to lose.
In April 2009, I joined In-Shape and hired a personal trainer. I worked out with the trainer for 4 months, 3 times a week. He taught me the right foods to eat and the exercises I needed to achieve my goal. As of this morning I have lost a total of 137 lbs and fit into a size 12 pants. I still have about 60 lbs I would like to lose, but I am maintaining the weight loss, which is a huge accomplishment in itself.
My advice to others would be:
- Pick short-term weight loss goals, they are easier to achieve and you are less likely to get discouraged.
- Find a network of friends that are trying to meet the same achievement.
- If I can do it, anyone can. I never liked PE when I was in school and always told myself that I couldn’t do it.
- Find the reason inside you to reach your goal. I realized that I want to be around for my son.
- Hire a personal trainer if you are struggling on your own. They are well worth the money.
I hope that my story is enough to inspire others to start their own weight loss journey.
-Andrea, Member at In-Shape City: Hanford
- Success Stories