Al Fresco Eats
To keep that summer feeling flowing, try these three recipes that lend themselves to dining al fresco and are perfect for picnics and parties! These light summer bites (plus one summer sipper) are crowd-pleasers on a hot day and can be easily doubled (or tripled!) for big potlucks.
Healthy Side Dish: Cucumber Greek Salad
This salad is the perfect side dish to combat the heavy foods at the any barbecue. It’s so easy you could make it right before the party, but letting it marinate a few hours will deepen the flavors.
- 3 cucumbers, peeled and quartered
- 6 Roma tomatoes, sliced and chopped
- ½ of a red onion, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sliced black olives, to taste
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, and dried oregano. Pour over the vegetables and mix well.
- Season salad with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle feta cheese and olives over the top of salad and mix. Taste and adjust spices as needed.
Healthy Summer Drink: Strawberry Mint Infused Water
Subtly sweet, amazingly satisfying. Strawberry and mint are a match made in flavor heaven, but you can also create your own water infusion using your favorite fresh seasonal fruits or herbs. This is a great way to keep everyone hydrated at a poolside picnic. For extra pizazz, you can also use sparkling water.
For a healthy dessert: Banana Chocolate Chip Bites
Your ice cream cravings won’t stand a chance against these two-ingredient choco-banana treats. If you’re bringing these to an outdoor party, store them in a cooler with dry ice to keep them frozen solid until it’s time to serve.
- 5 ripe bananas, sliced
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Peel and slice bananas. Place them on a plate covered in parchment paper or in a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for at least two hours.
- Blend frozen banana slices in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Scoop the mixture into each of the muffin tin wells.
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- Freeze for at least one hour, then carefully pop out the bites with a butter knife.