Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs Recipe
Tickle your taste buds with this colorful and tropical dinner idea from She Wears Many Hats! With juicy pineapple, colorful bell peppers and onion, these chicken kabobs are delicious, healthy, and super fun to eat. Don’t be surprised if your kids ask for this one again—eating dinner on a kabob feels a little like playing with your food!
If your kids (or you) aren’t fans of pineapple or bell peppers, don’t be afraid to mix things up. Mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash or cherry tomatoes are delicious alternatives.
What you need:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1/4 cup canned pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons honey (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cold water, whisked
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3-4 bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
What you do:
- Create marinade in a small saucepan over medium heat by whisking together soy sauce, pineapple juice, honey, sesame oil, garlic powder, ground ginger, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk cold water and corn starch until combined. Slowly mix into marinade and whisk. Return to a simmer; allow to simmer, whisking occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until marinade thickens. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place diced chicken in a large plastic zip-top bag or bowl. Add half of marinade; toss to coat chicken. Seal/cover chicken; refrigerate at least 1 hour up to 4 hours.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes. Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Alternately thread chicken, peppers, onion and pineapple onto skewers. Brush olive oil on vegetables. Spray grill plate with cooking spray and place kabobs on grill over medium heat. Grill, turning every 4-5 minutes and basting with remaining marinade until chicken is done; about 15-20 minutes.