'HIIT' the Court Workout
It’s March Madness time! Whether you’re rooting for the top seeded players or cheering on the underdogs, get pumped up with this 16 minute, high-intensity interval training workout that’s made for people ready to get in the game.
Ready to play? Before you begin, warm up alternating between jump rope, jumping jacks and lateral lunges for five minutes. Then grab a basketball (or any lightweight ball) and follow along with the workout below. Burn tons of calories performing each exercise for one minute, then take a 30-second rest after you’ve done all five. Repeat for a total of three rounds.
1. Squat, Shoot and Press
Targets: Quads, glutes, rotational movement and core
How to: Stand in a neutral position with your feet hip-width apart, holding a basketball in front of your stomach. Lower into a squat position and send your hips and bottom back.
- Explode through your heels, jumping straight up and bringing the basketball directly overhead.
- Land on the balls of your feet and bring the basketball back in front of your chest.
- Step your right foot out to the side, then rotate your upper and lower body into a forward lunge, right foot in front. Make sure both legs are at 90-degree angles, and quickly push the basketball out in front.
- Return to starting position and repeat movement on the other side.
2. Basketball Push-Ups
Targets: Chest, shoulders and core
How to: Start in a basic plank position with the ball under your left hand. Make sure your wrists are under your shoulders and your body is in a straight line from head to toe.
- Bend your elbows so your upper body descends to the ground. Then, press upward back to the plank position.
- After the first push-up, roll the basketball under your body to your right hand.
- Perform another push-up with your right hand on the ball.
3. Lunge Layup
Targets: Quads, glutes and core
How to: Begin standing with your feet hip-width apart, holding the basketball in front of your stomach. Lunge back with your left leg, keeping your right shin perpendicular to the ground. At the same time, tap the basketball to the ground next to the inside of your front foot.
- Spring off your right foot while driving your left knee up. Pretend to do a layup with the ball as you jump up.
- Repeat as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then switch sides.
4. Lateral Shuffle Shot
Targets: Quads, glutes, outer thigh, calves, shoulders and core
How to: Balanced on the balls of your feet, start in a half-squat position. Hold the ball in front of your upper body.
- Quickly shuffle four steps to the right, keeping your upper body facing front with your back straight and core engaged.
- Jump up and raise the basketball above your head.
- Shuffle to the left and take a shot.
- Repeat as fast as you can.
5. Plyometric Lunges with Figure 8s
Targets: Quads, glutes, core and endurance
How to: Start with your right leg forward in a lunge position with both knees at 90-degree angles. Your shoulders should be pulled back with your chest up, and hips facing forward. Hold the ball in front of your chest.
- With your left hand, weave the ball under your right thigh to your right hand.
- Propel yourself off the balls of your feet and launch upwards. Mid-air, bring your right leg back and your left leg forward. Transfer the ball to the left hand, keeping your upper body relatively stable.
- Land in a lunge, with your left foot forward. Weave the ball under your left thigh to your left hand.