Keto Buffalo Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are a game day staple (or any party when you want to save on utensils!). With that said, most traditional chicken wings are either deep-fried or breaded (and then deep-fried) and tossed in a combination of butter, hot sauce and vinegar. To top it all off they’re usually paired with a high-calorie dipping sauce that is too good to pass up. We know!
So, today we’re bringing you this restaurant favorite with the Keto diet in mind. They’re oven-baked and super crispy (even though they aren’t deep-fried!) thanks to the secret ingredient – baking powder. Pair them with a keto-friendly take on the traditional sauce (which uses either grass-fed butter or coconut oil depending on your dairy intake), celery sticks or cauliflower florets and you’re set for your next party! Ready to wing it?
What you need:
For the wings:
- 4 pounds chicken wings and drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the Keto-Friendly Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Frank's RedHot sauce
- 1/2 cup grass-fed butter or refined coconut oil if dairy free
What you do:
For the Wings:
- Preheat oven to 250 F. Position one oven rack at the top of the oven and the second rack at the bottom.
- Place wings in a large mixing bowl. Mix in baking powder, salt and pepper until well coated.
- While oven is preheating, place your coated chicken wings onto a baking tray fitted with a wire baking rack so that the air can circulate and crisp up the chicken wings.
- Place trays into preheated oven to render off some of the fat from the wings. Bake for 25 minutes. Switch positions of bottom and top baking trays and flip wings.
- Turn oven temperature up to 425 F. Bake for another 40 minutes. Switch bottom and top baking trays and bake for another 30 - 35 minutes until you reach desired crispness.
For the Wing Sauce:
- Whisk together Frank's RedHot Original Hot sauce and butter or oil, until fully mixed.
- Add crispy chicken wings and toss in the sauce. Serve with celery.
Thanks to the Healing Spoon for this delicious take on a party pleaser!