Meet Andy: Fitness Fanatic and Creator of Team Training
As the Product Manager for group training, Andrea Franco has the opportunity to develop, launch and manage In-Shape’s group training product – Team Training (coming to a club near you in 2019). We also tap into her health and fitness knowledge here, on Member Buzz, to bring you all the details on nutrition or new workouts for you to try. We spoke to Andy to get a little more info on Team Training and what it’s like to be a fitness fanatic.
Andy started at In-Shape as a fitness advisor in 2013 after working as a Personal Trainer for four years before that. She was promoted to Fitness Manager in the Bakersfield area, then helped open In-Shape’s desert locations in 2014 as a Regional Fitness Manager. After working as the Regional Fitness Manager in the desert, she moved to northern California for her new role at the Support Center focused on developing a group training product.
Her team has been piloting our Team Training program at eight of our clubs and have plans to roll it out to one near you come 2019.
- How many days do you train per week?
- I strength train three days per week, do mobility for at least 15 minutes a day, every day, and always do something active outdoors like hiking, road biking, or swimming.
- What do you use to fuel your workouts?
- The three things I need to get a great workout are hydration, sleep and good nutrition. About an hour before my workout I like to have a meal balanced with carbs, protein and fats. The fat is key for sustainable energy. Post workout, I like to get my blood sugar back up and replenish my energy levels. My favorite post-workout snack is yogurt with honey and fruit.
- Are you training for anything in particular right now?
- A big group of our leadership is doing a Tough Mudder Full in Sonoma on October 6th. I am super excited to get out and have some fun with the team.
- What’s the hardest part about being a Trainer?
- Wanting success for someone more than they want it for themselves. It’s easy to trust the process when you’ve seen it work so many times. But some people, who may have failed time and time again, just have a hard time believing in themselves. It’s important to be honest with your clients, check in with how they are feeling emotionally, and remind them that fitness is a journey not a destination.
- What is your favorite way to work out?
- A full-body workout with some conditioning and strength components.
- Have you always been passionate about fitness?
- Yes! I grew up playing sports my whole life. When I was in college, I became a PT and fell in love with fitness. I love helping people and that I found a fulfilling career that is fast-paced, challenging and healthy.
- Did you choose to work at In-Shape because of your love for fitness?
- What’s your favorite vegetable?
- WOW! I love veggies so much. I love to buy what’s in season, organic and preferably local. I usually go to the farmer’s market every week.
- What’s your least favorite vegetable?
- Anything overcooked or deep-fried.
- How much water do you drink every day?
- It’s about quality not quantity. There’s a big difference between drinking lots of water and actually hydrating your body. I add a pinch of high quality salt to my water to add electrolytes and minerals. This will improve hydration levels, performance and recovery.
- What should everyone do at least once in their life?
- Book a flight and go on an adventure with no plans. It will be exhilarating to see new things and be spontaneous. Talk with the locals. Try to say yes even when it scares you a little. Take yourself out of your comfort zone. You will probably surprise yourself with what you learn about yourself.
- What brings you the most happiness in your life?
- Being with my fiancé. I am lucky enough to share my life with a beautiful human that I couldn’t imagine my life without. We both are passionate about health and fitness – trying a new vegan restaurant, hiking a new trail or even just sitting on our porch reading a book while enjoying a glass of wine.
- Who are your heroes?
- My older brother, Tony. He has always been a role model for me. I grew up most of my life following him around the country at wrestling tournaments. So aside from making me a little tough, he showed the me importance of work ethic. Today, he teaches me how to focus on the things that make me happy, play more, and keep me hungry for life.
- How many hours of sleep do you get in a night?
- Nine! I am usually up by 6am to get a jump on the day, make my breakfast, and do some reading.
- Advice for night owls?
- Setting a proper night time routine is crucial, especially since I’m naturally a night owl. Make a list of what you need to do tomorrow, so it’s not eating you alive in bed. Turn off the blue light devices (phone, TV, etc.) and don’t eat dinner too late.
- Do you have a favorite quote? If so, what is it?
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act but a habit.”
- This really explains a lot about health, fitness, success, and happiness. All the little things that add up – stand instead of sitting, take the stairs instead of the elevator, prepare your food instead of eating take out.
- What’s your favorite thing about In-Shape?
My favorite thing about In-Shape is the people. Over the years, I have worked with some pretty incredible people and made some memories I will never forget.