Move 7 101: Planks
At In-Shape, we create workouts using our signature Move7 Training System. You can create thousands of exercises from the 7 foundational movements: plank, lunge, squat, push, pull, rotate, and hinge.
Since plank is the foundation for every movement that we do, correct form is critical. Regardless of the position, either standing or on the ground, the standards are all the same. The Plank requires complete stability throughout your entire body. That means having a neutral spine, level belt line, full body tension, and complete alignment of the ears, shoulders, hips, knees and toes.
If you think about most movements in everyday life, a strong core will make them easier, and an active plank is a great place to start. Unlike crunches and sit-ups, the plank protects your spine by bracing to maintain stability, resist rotation, and effectively transmit strength and power to the rest of the body. Say hello to a tighter tummy and a better workout!
Need a visual to help Shape your Plank?
- Align ears, shoulders hips, knees and toes
- Maintain a neutral spine
- Stabilize your body
- Stay straight like a surfboard
- Brace your belly
- Put your shoulder blades ‘In your back pockets’
- Don’t move. Stay as still as possible.
- Don’t tuck your chin, ears should be in line with shoulders
- Don’t allow your hips to pop up
- Don’t allow your hips to sag