November Fitness Challenge
At In-Shape, we want you to live a healthy, fit and happy life. This month’s fitness challenge will improve your emotional well-being, build up your mental strength and focus and even improve your physical fitness.
Research shows meditation decreases anxiety, worry, stress, loneliness and feelings of depression. It can enhance your mood, outlook on life and emotional intelligence.
Meditation can boost your brain, too. It helps with memory retention, increases your ability to focus, enhances creativity and problem solving. It also does a body good by improving your energy levels, reducing blood pressure, and enhancing your immune system.
Since it can be intimidating, or hard to know ‘if you’re doing it right’ or to stay motivated, we’ve pulled together an easy to follow, judgement-free challenge for you to use all month long.
All you have to do is focus on your breath, as outlined below, for the number of minutes each day of the challenge.
- Find a comfortable, quite place to sit.
- Close your eyes. Find stillness.
- Breathe naturally and try not to control it.
- Draw your attention to that breath. To your inhale. To your exhale.
- Notice how your body moves with every inhalation and exhalation.
- Observe your chest, shoulders, rib cage, and belly. Observe how they fill up with each inhalation and then how they depress with each exhalation. Just notice. Just observe. Just be aware.
- Your mind might wander to your to do list, or to the voice inside that says you’re doing it wrong. Return your focus back to your breath. If it is helpful, focus on the mantra, “I breathe in. I breathe out.”
All it takes is 5 minutes of conscious stillness a day. If you’d like a mantra to use, we’ve provided a new one for you to focus on each week of the challenge. Happy meditating!