Reverse Searing The Perfect Steak
Thanks to our friends at Cream, Co. for this recipe to cook the perfect steak! For a limited time, In-Shape members can use coupon code InShape2020 for $20 off $100+ at their online butchery*.
When people ask us how to cook thicker steaks, our response is an enthusiastic, "reverse sear it!"
Reverse searing—slowly warming the steak in a low temp oven, and finishing in a roaring hot pan—gives you an evenly cooked, tender and juicy steak with a beautifully caramelized crust.
- Bring your steak up to room temp on a wire rack and rimmed baking sheet. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 200 – 275°F. Your steak will cook more evenly the lower you go.
- Using a meat thermometer to track your progress, place the steak and tray in the oven, and cook to 110 – 115°F — which is 10 – 15°F below our recommended medium-rare.
- When the steaks are almost at temp, coat a cast iron pan in vegetable oil and heat over your most powerful burner. As the pan begins to smoke (but before it burns!) add your steak with a generous knob of butter.
- Use tongs to sear the steak 1 min on each side and all edges, swirling and coating with the butter as you go.
- Remove, rest, and enjoy!
About Cream Co.:
Cream Co. is a whole animal butchery in Oakland, CA. We work with organic, sustainable, and regenerative ranches across the West Coast. Prior to SIP, we primarily sold to chefs and restaurants. We now sell curated meat Bunker Boxes and a la cart cuts direct to the public through our online butchery.
*Offer valid until 12/31/2020 on all orders $100 or more on eatcream.co. Use promo code InShape2020 to redeem discount.