Try It Out Tuesdays: Kettlebells
August 21: Kettlebell 2-Handed Swing
This week’s Try it Out Move of the Week, the two-handed kettlebell swing, is almost a total lower body toner hitting your lower back, core, glutes and quads. This type of hinge movement and the swing of the kettlebell cause the working muscle to cycle through contraction and relaxation to help tone up and lean out.
Kettlebell swings are powerful. You’ll feel the effects of one set immediately, and what’s more? Your body will continue to burn calories even after you’ve finished. Thanks, afterburn!
Here’s how to get swinging:
- Place your feet slightly wider than shoulder width.
- Hinge from hips and to grab the kettlebell.
- Extend both arms and grab kettle with overhand grip.
- First, drive your hips forward, to initiate the kettlebell swing.
- Control the momentum of the kettlebell as it moves forward and upward.
- Make sure the kettlebell stays at or beneath shoulder level.
- Allow the kettlebell to swing back and down as you move into the hinged position.
- Your forearms will contact your inner thighs allowing kettlebell to swing under hips.
- Repeat this movement for 10 repetitions.
Stop by our Try it out Tuesday demo at 9 AM or 5 PM every Tuesday to learn a new move or get some expert insight from one of our trainers.
August 13: Kettlebell Halo
Nothing beats that ‘hurt so good’ feeling after a solid shoulder session and this week’s Move of the Week definitely delivers just that. The Kettlebell Halo is a popular choice for increasing strength and mobility as well as toning up for those tank tops. It also challenges the core (you’ll see why after you check out the video).
- Bend your knees to grab the kettlebell.
- Hold the round portion and not the handle.
- Place your feet outside of hip width.
- Soften your knees and brace your core
- Move the kettlebell around your head in a circular clockwise motion.
- Complete ten full circles and then repeat in a counter clockwise direction.
Now you know the basics, show us your halos!
August 6: Kettlebell Slingshot
After the success of our TRX® Tuesday demo program, we’re excited to announce we’re extending the demos to explore all aspects of the club in a new series called Try it out Tuesday. Each week join us at 9 AM and 5 PM to learn something new from our trainers.
To ring in the new series, we’re focusing on all of the amazing exercises you can do with the Kettlebell. This week’s Try it out Tuesday Move of the Week is the Kettlebell Slingshot. It’s a great exercise for shoulder mobility and developing core strength.
- Grab the kettlebell with one hand.
- Place your feet outside your hips and soften your knees.
- Brace your core and start to rotate the kettlebell behind your body.
- Transfer to the left hand and rotate to the front of your body and then switch hands again.
- Repeat 10x then switch directions
Master Trainer Tip: Keep your hips still, your chest up and your eyes straight ahead throughout the movement.
Tune in next week to learn a new move with the Kettlebell!