Try It Out Tuesdays: Plank
We’re headed back to the straps to challenge your entire body with this week’s Try it Out Tuesday move of the week – the TRX® Ward. You’ll engage and work your entire core to build stability through the abs, obliques and lower back. It’s also a killer exercise to improve joint stabilization.
Ready to ward off any instability in your bod?
- Lengthen the straps all the way.
- Stand with your side facing the anchor point with your feet together. For added challenge try an offset stance!
- Extend your arms in front of your chest with your palms together. Place your hands in the foot cradles with your thumbs facing out.
- Keeping your weight centered over your feet, press the back of your outside hand into the foot cradles.
- Maintain constant tension on the strap while you slowly tap your foot backwards or alternate high knees.
Once you’ve mastered the move, try an ascending ladder where you work for 10 seconds and rest for 10 seconds. Add 10 seconds of work each round until you can’t do anymore!
TRX® Side Plank
Side plank might be a staple in your routine, so change it up and Try it Out this Tuesday using the TRX®. The TRX® Side Plank increases oblique strength and endurance while challenging shoulder, hip and knee stability. It’ll fire up your core and build total body balance.
- Adjust the TRX® to the mid-calf position.
- Starting on the ground, on your side, place your hand directly beneath your shoulder. Stack your hips.
- With your feet in the straps, make sure the heel of the top foot is touching the toe of the bottom foot and the leg closest to the anchor point is in front.
- Lift your hips and body off the ground. Keep your shoulder directly above your hand and your hips stacked.
- Slowly lower your hip to the ground, continuing to keep those shoulders and hips stacked.
Challenge: Try holding the TRX® Side Plank for 30 seconds followed by 30 seconds of jumping Jacks. Repeat three times on each side!
Stop by this Tuesday at 9 am or 5 pm to see it in action and ask our Trainers anything! Learn how to adjust the TRX® Straps or have them help you with your form. They’re always here to help!
Kettlebell Drag Plank
This week is all about shoulders! Build them up and cultivate muscle endurance with the Kettlebell Plank Drag. It’ll also strengthen your core to build balance, increase shoulder mobility and back strength. We promise, it won’t be a….drag.
- Start in a plank position.
- Place a kettlebell on the ground just outside your left shoulder.
- Place hands firmly on the ground with entire palm against the ground and fingers spread.
- From this plank position, reach the right (opposite) hand to pull the kettlebell to the right (opposite) side of the body.
- Repeat on the other side, reaching the left hand to the right side to pull the kettlebell to the left side of the body.
- Continue side to side all while maintaining an active plank.
Build core strength, stabilize your spine and back, prevent injury and increase overall mobility and balance, with this week’s Try it Out Tuesday Move of the Week – the TRX® Plank. Your challenge, should you choose to accept, is to hold this position for 60 seconds without your hips falling to the ground! Good luck, angels.
- Adjust the TRX® Straps to mid-calf position.
- Face the ground, place your feet in the straps with your laces facing the ground.
- Start on your hands and knees (with feet resting in handles), lift your hips and straighten your elbows to enter a plank position.
- Stack your elbows under your shoulders.
- Hold for 60 seconds and then slowly lower your knees on the ground and remove your feet from the handles.