Why You’ll Love BODYPUMP – Even If You Don’t Like Lifting Weights
If your only experience with studio fitness is taking classes like Pilates, Yoga or ZUMBA, it’s easy to see why you might be a little intimidated by BODYPUMP. The class requires a bunch of equipment, and what if you’ve never used a barbell or stepped into the weight room before?
BODYPUMP is actually the perfect way to dip your toes into lifting weights—and you’re missing out if you don’t give this class a try. It’s an In-Shape member favorite for a reason: it’s a ton of fun and you’ll see results fast. Learn more about what to expect in class and why we know you’ll love BODYPUMP even if you’re not usually a fan of lifting weights.
Reasons you’ll love BODYPUMP:
- Lifting weights on your own can be so intimidating—what moves should you do, and what the heck is an overhead press, anyway? With BODYPUMP, your instructor will demonstrate every move.
- Everyone lifts on the same beat, so you’ll feel an amazing sense of group synergy and motivation.
- Have two left feet? No worries. This class uses very basic moves in ways you can predict, so once you get the hang of it (after a song or two), you’ll find it’s pretty easy to keep up with the choreography.
- You can expect to burn 400 calories* in a BODYPUMP class, all while building lean (rather than bulky) muscle. Plus, weightlifting continues to burn calories 24 hours afterward and helps increase your metabolism.
- Your movements will sync up with the music, which makes you feel pretty awesome.
- There’s no pressure to lift heavy. In BODYPUMP, you’re going to do a lot of reps, so you don’t need to stack a ton of weight on your bar.
- You’ll see people of all ages and fitness levels in your BODYPUMP classes. Since everyone chooses the amount of weight they want to lift, this class is great for everyone!
- We love our BODYPUMP communities! Each of our clubs have regulars who go to multiple classes each week, so if you decide to keep coming, you’ll start to recognize faces. Don’t forget to say hi!
- If you think lifting weights is boring, you’ve gotta try BODYPUMP. The music, the energy in the room, and your motivating instructor will show you how fun it can be.
What to expect from your first class:
This class is usually an hour long and is a full body workout. Once you set up your station with a barbell, step, hand weights, and yoga mat—check out this video to learn how—it’s as simple as enjoying the music and following the instructor.
Each song focuses on a different muscle group. You can expect to see squats, deadlifts, clean and presses, lunges and bicep curls. You’ll often see push-ups, chest presses, overhead presses and crunches, too. (If you don’t recognize some of these terms, don’t worry—your instructor does all of these moves with you so you can watch and learn.)
If you’re new, start with lighter weights than you think you need—and remember you can always drop the weights and stick with bodyweight. Trust us, you’ll still feel the burn by the end of class.
It’s always a good idea to let your instructor know before class that this is your first time. They’ll make sure you feel welcome!
After you finish your first BODYPUMP class, we recommend spending some time stretching and foam rolling, so check out some of our Stretch and Mobility videos on In-Shape Digital (it’s free for members). You’ll most likely be working muscles that haven’t gotten love in a while, so this will help prevent soreness.
So, what are you waiting for? Make a reservation and give BODYPUMP a try—we think you’ll love it!