Cacao Peppermint Energy Balls
Chocolate and peppermint may be one of the most delicious combinations out there. Who can say no to a thin mint cookie or a peppermint patty? That refreshing minty flavor combined with rich chocolatey goodness is pure bliss.
But let’s face it, those tantalizing little cookies aren’t exactly the healthiest treat. But we’ve got the perfect solution for you.
These cacao peppermint energy balls are packed with nourishing ingredients and make for the perfect pre/post-workout snack.
Cacao, aka chocolate in its purest unsweetened form, is a mega superfood. Loaded with antioxidants, it contains 40 times the amount than in blueberries (yes, 40!!). It’s got more calcium than cow’s milk and is packed with a generous dose of magnesium and calcium. Plus, cacao may even help elevate mood as it contains anandamide, otherwise known as the bliss molecule that creates a feeling of euphoria.
Combined with protein-packed hemp seeds, fiber-rich dates, a touch of maple syrup, and coconut oil for healthy fats, these little bites of goodness are deeply nourishing, easy to make, and essentially guilt-free.
Try them for yourself.
What you need:
- 1 + ⅓ cup walnuts
- ⅔ cup dates
- 3 tbsp. cacao powder
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. peppermint extract
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp. hemp seeds
- ½ tsp. salt
What you do:
- Add nuts to a food processor and pulse until they break down.
- Add in the dates and blend till everything is mixed together.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Process until the mixture is well combined.
- Let sit in the fridge for half an hour to firm up.
- Using a small ice cream scooper or spoon, form into balls.
- Roll in shredded coconut and enjoy!
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge or freezer. Makes about 10 balls.