Collagen: What it is and why you should use it
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body, but as we age, production of this vital protein declines. Whether it’s collagen powder, liquid collagen, bone broth or in capsule form, collagen supplements deliver all the benefits of collagen in an easy to digest manner. Sounds like a pretty good solution, right?
You’ve probably seen it as an ingredient in your favorite lotion or beauty products, but collagen is so much more than that. Collagen is found in muscles, tendons, skin, cartilage, blood vessels and the digestive tract. According to Dr. Axe, this complex protein is made up of 19 different amino acids (some essential and some conditional). These amino acids are responsible for all the benefits of collagen.
What are the benefits of collagen?
- Skin and hair: when collagen production declines as we age, skin loses its elasticity so it’s more prone to wrinkles and sagging. Dr. Axe says, “Increasing collagen levels can help your skin look firmer, increase smoothness, and help your skin cells keep renewing and repairing normally.” He also says it can help reduce the appearance of cellulite and stretch marks. Because your skin is now thinner and elasticity has decreased due to a loss of collagen, cellulite becomes more evident — no more hiding what’s happening below the surface. Collagen for skin helps its elasticity and helps reduce potential dimpling.
- Joints and ligaments: research shows that taking collagen supplements may help improve osteoarthritis and reduce joint pain overall. Because of collagen supplement’s ability to stimulate collagen synthesis in the body, researchers believe it may lead to lower inflammation and pain relief – great news for anyone suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and joint deterioration due to aging.
- Muscle mass and metabolism: increasing your collagen intake may increase your metabolism thanks to the additional lean muscle you can build. It also helps convert glucose into energy that your muscle cells eat up.
- Aging: since collagen production decreases as we age, adding a supplement will also help the digestive and central nervous systems which help you maintain your youthful disposition. It slows the effects of aging by helping the body better use antioxidants to create healthy cells from its DNA.
- Heart health: since collagen is part of the makeup of your arteries, and without enough collagen these essential pathways that transport blood from your heart to the rest of your body can become weak. This can narrow your arteries. So adding liquid collagen or collagen powder to your daily cup of joe might help your heart health.
There are a lot of easy ways to add this vital protein to your daily menu. Things like bone broth, chicken skin, pork skin beef and fish contain collagen. You can also get it from gelatin as it is derived from collagen after cooking.
Our favorite way (since it is easy to use and easy to digest) is a liquid or powder supplement you can add to any hot or cold liquid – think a scoop in your coffee, smoothie, soup or juice.
For a limited time, we have a special offer to share from our friends at Bulletproof: get 15% off your total purchase when you enter the code INSHAPE15, including all collagen supplements.
What are you waiting for? Try some today!