Monthly Mocktail: Celebrate August with Three Ocean-Inspired Mocktails
By now, you’ve probably hit your fitness stride when it comes to maintaining your summer workout regime. The sun is out, the weather is warm, and the pool or the beach beckons. What better way to complement your hard work in the gym than with these three ocean-inspired mocktails?
Each recipe is rich with flavor but low in calories (especially when compared to the cocktail versions). Tropical mixed drinks tend to tip the scale because of the sugary mixes and liqueurs. But, it’s easy to leave out them out and still make a delicious drink.
These recipes will quickly become your summer favorites and deceive your senses into believing that the ocean is only a few steps away.
Hang Five ~ 69 Calories
- 3 ounces pineapple juice (50 calories)
- 4 ounces coconut water (15 calories)
- 1 tablespoon sugar free vanilla syrup (0 calories)
- ½ ounce lemon juice (4 calories)
- Pineapple and lemon garnish
Combine all of the ingredients in a glass filled with ice and stir well. Garnish with a thin slice of pineapple and a wheel of lemon and serve.
Heat Wave ~ 77 Calories
- 3 ounces mango nectar (42 calories)
- 3 ounces light lemonade (5 calories)
- ½ tablespoon agave (30 calories)
- 2 thin slices habanero pepper (0 calories)
In a wide-bottomed glass, gently press the habanero pepper into the mango nectar with the bottom of a wooden spoon or a cocktail muddler to release the heat from the seeds. Add the other ingredients and stir until the agave has dissolved. Strain into a new glass that’s filled with ice and garnish with a slice of lemon or a thin slice of pepper.
Salty Dolphin ~ 52 Calories
- 3 ounces grapefruit juice (30 calories)
- 4 ounces diet cranberry juice (2 calories)
- 4 ounces club soda (0 calories)
- ½ tablespoon simple syrup (20 calories)
- Salted rim
Run a lime around the rim of the glass to dampen it, then dip the glas into Margarita salt. Shake off the excess salt. Add ice cubes carefully so as not to bump off too much salt. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, and serve.